Making Veterinary Visits Less Stressful for Pets
Feline veterinary visits have declined in recent years. Why? Stress – for both cats and their owners. But cats and their owners aren't the only scaredy-cats. Veterinary visits can cause stress for dogs and other types of pets too!
The good news is you don't have to sacrifice your pet's care by skipping out on regular veterinary visits due to stress.
Our Fear Free Certified team members can help!
Members of the Animal Hospital of Verona team have successfully completed the Fear Free Certification and helped train the rest of our staff.
This program lets us learn about new ways to improve your pet's healthcare.
During a typical Fear Free veterinary visit, you will see our practice team using some of these techniques:
- Offering tasty treats to distract your pet and make them happy
- Providing comfortable, non-slip surfaces for your pet to stand on, thus improving balance
- Encouraging pets with a happy voice, a smile, and treats (we never handle them roughly to get them on a table or into a cage)
- We are considerate about your pet's comfort when holding them and performing procedures, such as nail trims - we never struggle with them
- Creating a calming environment with pheromone diffusers and sprays
- If your pet is showing excessive signs of fear, anxiety, or stress, we may postpone the exam/procedure until a time when they are more relaxed - we'll often send them home with prescription anti-anxiety medication to use before their next visit
- Sedating a patient for scary or painful procedures
We see the many benefits of being kind and considerate to pets. It makes them calmer patients and makes them happier to come visit us.
Please call us at (608) 845-6700 for more information about our Fear Free practices and fill out our Fear Free questionnaire before your pet's appointment.